?

Log in

UVSC Integrated Studies' Journal

Friday, January 10, 2003

7:46PM - What is the plan

I hope that you all had a great holiday. I don't know if I have been left out of the loop, but I haven't heard anything for this upcoming semester. So what is the plan? If I don't hear anything here in the next week then I will start calling around so that I can plan accordingly.

Sunday, December 1, 2002

4:13PM - Interest in meeting with printer

Don, you mentioned that you wouldn't mind if others of us came to the printer. Could you post the time and place you are meeting I would like to come if I am still on campus.
thanks
--joey

Thursday, November 28, 2002

11:39AM - Intersections Meeting Notes

In attendance: Matt, Joey, Don, Kathryn, Jason

Went over flyers. Will be distributed next week.
Monday: Don talk to Scott - printer concerns
Monday: Don, make appt with printer
Wednesday: Meet with Printer, post results here
After Jan 1: Meeting in Library to brainstorm following issues:
Size: We are interested in dialog size, or previous intersections size
Binding:
Paper:
Cover Paper:

Monday, November 25, 2002

3:36PM - Flyers

I'm working on flyers today for distribution. The plan was to have them distributed today, but I'm behind. (sorry Carrie and Kathryn, who both had theirs to me on deadline). I'm not sure what kind of a dent we can make at this point in the semester, but I've been working on some.

Here are Carries:
Flyer 1
Flyer 2
Flyer 3

Here are mine:
don's flyer 1
don's flyer 2

Also, please note that I've updated the web site. Check it out and let me know what you think:
http://www.xmission.com/~cretin/intersections/

Wednesday, November 20, 2002

1:26PM - Intersections Meeting Minutes 11.20.2002

Attendees

Matt, Don, Carrie, Kathryn, Gaylyn

Details
Change Call for Paper due date to Jan 17.
Change Call for Papers submission to physical and / or electronic submission.
Every submission gets a return receipt


Assignments
Make Call for Papers Flyers geared toward departments due this Saturday on intersections
Carrie - science, Don - Computer Science , Kathryn - Business
Final review of flyers ends mon 9, when they will be copied, distributed to all instructors. Carrie, Kathryn and Don will hand deliver flyers to select teachers and post in buildings for respective disciplines


Important Issues
Next meeting: Don's house, 7:00 pm, Tuesday night. Refreshments will be served.
Map / Directions to follow in confidential post (you must be logged into LiveJournal to see it).
We could use help: Consider making a flyer for one of your emphases or your major. Make it available to the respective faculty (and in those buildings where the department is mostly centered). These are due Saturday night (this weekend) so they can be distributed Monday and Tuesday
we need help distributing. Some areas of need are: Philosophy, History, Education, English, ... others

Friday, November 15, 2002

8:54AM - Wednesday in the Library: Intersections Meeting

Meet near the circulation desk in the Library (ask for Matt Quinlin).

(Matt, I don't have Jason's address, can you reply with it?)

Meeting Agenda to follow. Send me any agenda item you have.

Wednesday, November 13, 2002

12:08AM - Meeting Tomorrow Cancelled!

Please respond with a good meeting time:
Wednesday next week, 10:00 am, 12:00 Noon or 2:00 PM or 4:00 PM

Don

Monday, November 11, 2002

10:50AM - Meeting this week!

Let's meet Wednesday at Matt Quinlin's office (ask for him at the circulation desk in the library) at 2:00. If you are coming later than 2, please ask at the info desk where you can find Matt's Intersections Meeting.

Wednesday is Club Rush Day, I'm going to do some flyers tonight and Joey is going to get the academic clubs to put our journal promos out. Great idea Joey.

I'm going to schedule a "how to" livejournal meeting. It can be just before, or after our Wednesday meeting. Or, if someone has a laptop, and we can get a connection in the place we are going to meet, we could go over it during the meeting.

Friday, November 8, 2002

9:49AM - The Best Intentions

I'd intended to have a meeting today at 2, but I'm flying out today around then, so it won't be happening. Sorry for being less than in contact. Let's meet on Wednesday at 2 at Matt Quinlins office. Let me know if that won't work.

Tuesday, October 29, 2002

11:45AM - Meeting Cancelled

Our second staff meeting is cancelled for tomorrow so members of the staff can attend the funeral of Ryan Dodds.

I'm sorry if this is an inconvenience to anyone.

Sunday, October 27, 2002

5:07AM - An Additional Goal

In addition to scholarly, well-researched, stimulating articles, I would like to publish these articles so that they have some sort of thematic development, or cohesiveness. In other words, in choosing among equally good submissions we should publish those that tell some sort of tale.

Friday, October 25, 2002

1:16PM - Note

In the next five days I will make an effort to contact Jim Price and Renee Van Buren regarding student submissions from the biology/ecology/genetics area of study. I will also contact John Reese in an effort to find photography students interested in submitting art (although, since Jason is spearheading the formatting project, it might be wise for him to make art contacts?)

I am also looking for editors from the Computer Science program.

Will keep posted on progress.

1:07PM - Note: Ryan Blohm

Ryan Blohm has also accepted a position on our staff.

1:05PM - Note: Katherine Tew

Katherine Tew has accepted a position on our staff (thanks Joey).

12:44PM - Staff, Layout, and Promotion

Staff

Gaylnn Parker
Today I added Gaylynn Parker to our staff. I'll let her introduce herself here later, but she is a technical writer and is going to be able to help us get some good papers. I've sort of layed out my vision for her, so let me put it to you here:

Consensus Operation: Staff functions in consensus mode. We argue for what we want to do, and we must all agree in order to proceed. I will function as a block-breaker where needed, but I don't anticipate needing to do that. Any idea is subject to group ratification. I will admit to being a rather intense personality, but I wear that in the expectation that if I will be told so by my co-workers.

Publishing Goals:We will publish papers that were highly evaluated in terms of academic excellence (including proper rigour), intellectual stimulation, and the integration of disciplines, in that order. Thus, an integrated but unstimulating paper is worth less than an academically excellent, stimulating one. Intellectual stimulation, is of course, a much more subjective discipline.

Work Progression Part of my job is to make sure we deliver the goods. As such we need to communicate in several ways. I'm asking each of you to participate in this electronic forum, here is the central place for all public debate (papers will be discussed privately) and discussion. We will have a meeting weekly where will will hammer out issues that require face to face communication, and we want to find a time that is good for everyone. If someone can't make the meeting they will look to this forum to comprehend what was done and offer objections if there are any.


My Goals One of my rather immediate goals is to get more Science, Engineering and Business representation on our staff, and hopefully, like horses running to water, a selection of submissions from those areas. Matt Quinlin has an idea for someone who might qualify in the area of the Sciences (Integrated Studies student).

Layout

I have spoken to him yet, but I nominate Jason Call to direct the format change effort. I'm excited by his enthusiasm and vision. What do you say? (note, I'm not saying do all the work, but to make sure we do what we need to do to achieve the format change). I would like to come up with a date that either says the new format is ready to enter data into or we abandon the effort and inhabit the old format. I'm of course assuming it is easier to inhabit the old format.

Promotion

I'd like to take the additional responsiblity of promotion. I'd like to work with any of you that know professors chair, or deans to promote the journal in their respective departments. I'm going to bring in some fliers to distribute to each department, with discipline specific content in the flyers. Anyone who wants to help here, is welcome.

8:40AM - How to use this forum to communicate - for Intersections Staff Members without Current LiveJournals

1) You don't have to be a livejournal member to read it, but you will need it to post. I would ask each staff member to become a LiveJournal member, and I will provide the free codes needed.
2) Email me for the code
3) Go to: http://www.livejournal.com/create.bml, enter the code I email you, and create your journal.
4) Log into LiveJournal at http://www.livejournal.com/login.bml
5) Join the Intersections community, after you have logged in (you'll do this just once). So that by going here: http://www.livejournal.com/community/join.bml?comm=intersections
6) You are now ready to both post in your private journal (you will need to respond to an email that LiveJournal sends you to validate your account).
7) When posting to your personal journal, you just go to: http://www.livejournal.com/update.bml and post away. You can make entries private, for only people you've defined as friends, or public.
8) When posting to the Intersections community journal (as your LiveJournal persona) you must go to: http://www.livejournal.com/update.bml?mode=full and change the "Journal to Post in: from your personal journal to the Intersections Journal (this will be available once you have both joined the community and logged back in to LiveJournal.
9) There is a simple client that you can download that makes all this stuff easier if you have access to a computer that you always use. Find the best client here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/ljwin32_sema/

For those of you that hate steps, here is the conceptual framework of what I'm telling you:

We're all busy, and electronic communication is useful. Several of us are already familiar with LiveJournal, a software service that allows users to create free (or paid) journals to use in any way they want. Additionally, LiveJournal allows journals to be turned into communities, where instead of one person posting to the journal, there are many. I've created such a journal, called Intersections. It's a community that I will allow only staff members to join. Staff members must first have a LiveJournal account, which I will provide the 'free code' for. Just email me to get it. You can do anything you want with your personal LiveJournal, but remember since the Intersections is a public journal that has your real name in it (just like the masthead of Intersections will have your real name in it) you may want to protect private journal entries in your own journal. When posting in LiveJournal you can use the simple page to post your personal journal entries or the full update page to post your entries to the community. You can also download a client to make this easier if you are on a computer you regularly use (home or office, rather than lab).

Please ask if you have questions, and give this a try.

Thursday, October 24, 2002

7:54PM - Sciences, Engineering and Business

Scott Abbott spoke to me today about making sure we have representation on our staff from the Sciences, the Computer Sciences, and the Business department, and gave me the number of all those deans. I'm going to contact them tomorrow and ask if they have recommendations for editors. I'd also like to make a concerted effort to bring in those discipline type papers, and I'm thinking of doing specific calls for papers targeted at the disciplines. What do you all think of that?

don

6:57AM - Meeting Minutes

We had our first staff meeting Wednesday at noon in 411 in the Library. Meeting lasted about an hour.
Note: I am posting real names here since these names will all appear on the masthead anyway. If you have an LJ journal and want to protect that identity contact me donlavange or intersections@uvsc.edu and I will give you a code for an account that can protect your private journal as a separate identity. I don't want to make this forum 'friends only', though posts about specific papers must be done in that way.

Minutes

1) In attendance were:
Don LaVange
Matt Quinlin
Carrie Diaz
Jason Call
Joey Jurgens

2) Distribution: First paper distributed

3) Staff: Joey recommended Katherine who was added after the meeting. Matt Quinlin has invited and he will come to the next meeting.

4) On the issue of submissions, we agreed that submissions are open to any student at UVSC, from any discipline. Joey said it well that Integrated Studies is interested in pushing work in integrated studies among all disciplines, not just among the major.

5) On the issue of format, the consensus was that we would like to see what we can do to revamp the look. The format size as well as the look. Jason is going to bring some design books and ideas. Everyone was invited to bring sketches and ideas. We agreed that the format change is going to require a lot of work, so we need to begin now. I am going to get access to the Mac we have set aside for that purpose. Additionally, I am going to check on printing costs with respect to issues of color printing (Carrie) of pics, recycled paper, and internal versus external pricing.

6) Distribution: We all agree, distribution is a priority. Let's get this issue into the hands of libraries (including UVSC), faculty, students. Sacrificing print quality and format may (should) help in this area

7) Next meeting, discuss format for second call for papers. Don, make changes to the current ones so they have the right address.

8) Matt and Joey: Contact Photography department

9) Next meeting: 2 pm Wednesday, same place (411 Learning Resource Center). Meet at Matt's office.

Wednesday, October 23, 2002

11:26PM

j.c. (shepism) and i are excited to be on!

Wednesday, September 18, 2002

8:35AM - Areas of Importance

Here are some areas that need work

Promotion
How can I know if people are responding to the call for papers?
It doesn't seem like there is any way. One might count the number of submission forms. I could have set a deadline for submission forms, but I think I'd be shooting myself in the foot.

I'm thinking of a table, like the one I saw Touchstones using in the hallway. What would happen if I could get Allen Hill, Touchstones, and the history journal all to do a hall of flags type thing. Journal day? More on this issue later. Carrie has ideas I'm anxious to hear.

Staff
Unless they've had prior experience I would like to see a writing sample. It doesn't have to be formal, I just want to know they have good writing skills. Use the whole staff to help evalutate staff this way?

Physical
Need to get access to the Mac! Talk to Deb Thornton. Location and code...

Need to get a copy of quark. Need to familiarize myself with it. I suppose it's too much to assume that the MAC has internet acces, but where we will be using http to lj (and perhaps a document store at http://www.xmission.com/~cretin/intersections/docs/

I have no damned idea what is involved in getting a version out the door. What do I need to do?

Deliverables
Need to create a plan document, if for no other reason to constitutionalize what I've done.

Communication
Need to speak with last years editor, Michelle Davidson. What worked? What insights does she have that she might share? What went wrong last year? What would she do differently? How to best motivate staff to work? How did last years paper evaluation model go? Are there students, especially former staff that she might recommend?

Convince staff that they need to at least peruse LiveJournal as I'm using this for communication. But for those interested, I'll provide tokens.

email models... At least GroupWise gives us a canonical store and a readily available model for determining if communication occured (GroupWise has a model for tracking that is hard for users to turn off). BUt, then you have to use GroupWise which sucks while you are off campus (perhaps if you have a fast connection and a remote client, which I don't have the former).

Navigate: (Previous 20 entries)